Saturday, March 14, 2009

April Madness

The month after a quarter-end is always crazy for us lucky accountants. With a variety of quarterly reports to complete and press releases to prepare and proof, things can get pretty hectic. In general, January, April, July, and October are my least favorite months, if only because of all the work madness.

This April is going to be particularly insane for me ~ I have been asked to cover the job duties of one of our senior accountants who is on maternity leave. Her job involves, among other things, compiling numbers for the press release and proofing it multiple times to ensure that it is 100% accurate. Not a low~stress task by any means. Taking this on will me lots of overtime for me, and this 40~hour~a~week girl is not looking forward to that. I do enjoy my job (most days) but 40 hours of it is about all I can take. In addition to the extra job duties that I’ll be facing in April, we are moving to an as~yet undecided new apartment/house and taking a four day trip to Vegas.

I am concerned about what to do with my business during this time. I spend an estimated 2~3 hours on garter~related business a day and probably double that on the weekends. Obviously I won’t be able to keep up with that during the madness of April ~ should I close down my Etsy shop for the month? Keep it open but make sure that I have everything listed in stock and ready to be mailed out, and cut down on the custom orders I take? It couldn’t be a worse time to close up shop for thirty days ~ we’re right at the beginning of the wedding season and I hate the idea of losing out on sales, particularly when business has been so good lately… I just fear that if I try to take on more than I can handle and try to keep up with business as usual, I will feel like this for the whole month of April:



Instead of like this:


I would love any advice that other small business owners can offer for handling situations like these! :o)

~Heather

1 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have no advice, but that definitely sounds stressful!!