Friday, December 12, 2008

Maybe There is Something to the Whole Starbucks Phenomenon…

I am not a coffee fan. I don’t like the smell of it, I don’t like the taste of it, and I particularly hate kissing someone who’s been drinking it. While studying at a Starbucks in college, my BF at the time got me a hot chocolate with a shot of coffee in it to “help keep me awake” (he thought I wouldn’t notice) and I was so disgusted that I almost threw it at him – a perfectly good cup of hot chocolate soiled by nasty coffee! So it follows that I’m not the hugest fan of Starbucks ~ obviously I don’t like any of their coffee-flavored drinks, and their pastries have a tendency to be a little too sweet for my taste and always give me a tummy ache if I end up eating one. (I do have a bit of a soft spot in my heart for Starbucks’ Strawberries and Crème Frappuccino, but that diminished somewhat when I discovered the nutritional content of the drink.) To add insult to injury, Starbucks gift cards seem to be the reward of choice at my company (which makes sense considering we have a Starbucks right across the street from our building) and I always inwardly groan when given one because it means I will have another card that will go unused taking up space in my purse.

So of course when Dear Boyfriend asked if I wanted something to drink when we were at Starbucks yesterday meeting a client and his fiancé to discuss the music for their event ~ we have a
disc jockey company ~ I turned up my nose at him. But I did have a gift card he could use! I dug around in my purse until I found one and breathed a sigh of relief at the thought that I would now have one less card kickin’ around in my too-full purse. He returned to our table a few minutes later with a Peppermint Mocha Twist, and after using the cup to warm up my cold hands, I slyly took a small sip. I was thirsty and cold, and it was there and it was warm. And oh my goodness, IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! I’ve been missing out on this yumminess for years?!? I quickly drank more than half of it with little regard to its calorie and fat content ~ I am a calorie counter and try to limit the number of beverages I’ll consume that contain calories ~ but who cares when you’re drinking something this good? YUM YUM YUM!!! When can we go back so I can have another? Please tell me that these aren’t just available during the Christmas season!

Hoping we can get back to Starbucks soon,

Heather

0 comments: