Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Great Puppy Search of ’08-’09, Pt. 1

I am a cat lover. I always have been and I always will be. I love all cats ~ small cats and big cats ~ their beautiful coats, their pointed ears, their scent, their meows and growls ~ everything about them. I get as excited as a four year old on Christmas morning every Thursday afternoon before we head to my parents’ for dinner because I simply can’t wait to see my two girls, Jazzy and Lily, and I can’t watch the video of Christian the lion reuniting with his one-time owners without crying (something that Dear Boyfriend finds truly hilarious). It came as a shock to everyone (especially my mom, a fellow cat devote) when I started talking about wanting a puppy. While I love the company our felines provide when (and if) they’re in the mood, I want a pet that will be more of a constant and devoted companion ~ a pet who will greet me at the door with a happy bark when I come home from a long day at work, and one I can take with me when I run to the store or on the hikes Dear Boyfriend and I so enjoy. So a puppy it is, preferably one of the toy-sized variety.

As we can’t have pets at our current residence, I will have to wait until our lease is up at the end of April to really start seriously looking for the perfect pup for me. Until then, I will have to be content with bi-weekly visits to the local pet store, where they always seem to have at least three or four adorable puppies that I would take home in a heartbeat. On one of our last visits, I fell in love with not one, but FIVE, different puppies ~ a Papillon, two short-haired Chihuahuas, a long-haired Chihuahua, and an adorable Papi-poo (a Papillon-Poodle mix) who kept licking the glass of his cage trying to get to us. How to decide, how to decide?!? They are all so precious! I have committed to doing a ton of puppy research on personality traits and characteristics from now until April when the time for the big decision is finally here. As of this moment, I’m leaning towards a
Papillon ~ I love their big ears and they have the most adorable faces, plus they are known for their agility and intelligence. The Yorkie-Havanese mix we saw last night was pretty cute too ~ thank goodness I have lots of time to make a decision!

Off to do some more puppy research,
Heather

0 comments: