Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I’m a little late getting my New Year’s resolutions posted (and started), primarily because of the cold/cough and dental issues I mentioned earlier. I’m not really one for making New Year’s resolutions every year, but the few times I have made them, I’ve been pretty successful at keeping them.

There are many things I love about dating an Italian, including (but not limited to) pasta for dinner whenever I want and family get-togethers (with tables and tables full of yummy food) at least once a week. As wonderful as these things are, they don’t do much for a girl’s figure. Imagine my shock when I discovered that I’d gained ten pounds in the first three months we were dating! I know that ten pounds isn’t a lot, but when you’re only 5’ 1/2” tall, it makes a big difference… Plus ten pounds can easily turn into fifteen or twenty, so it’s best to get these things under control sooner rather than later. I’ve maintained my weight since last April and have tried half-heartedly to get back to my pre-relationship weight, but hadn’t had a lot of success. But a new year calls for a new strategy, and here is my plan:

· Pilates and/or yoga five days a week (I love doing both, and have noticed real changes in my body as a result of doing each consistently)
· 40 minutes of cardio three days a week
· Strength training in my office four days a week (I have a somewhat secluded office and do squats, plies, abs and arms throughout the day to keep my blood flowing and break up the monotony of life in an office)
· Eat a healthier diet ~ more fruits and veggies, less carbs and chocolate (as much as I hate to do it, I’m going to limit my pasta intake, and try to cut back on the yummy Lean Cuisine frozen meals I bring for lunch because they are so high in sodium)

We’re planning a trip to Vegas with my Dear Boyfriend’s family in April ~ hopefully if I stick to this plan, I’ll be bikini-ready by then!

As far as other resolutions go, I would really like to focus on growing my garter business by expanding my marketing tactics, including updating my website and approaching several bridal shops in our area to see if they would like to carry my product. I can be pretty shy when it comes to marketing myself and my creations, so it’ll be a challenge for me to put myself out there and risk rejection. I also am dedicated to helping Nathan expand our disc jockey business ~ our dream is to be able to support ourselves DJing full time (supplemented by my garter business) and eventually open our own wedding venue. It’s a big goal, but I know if we work hard and stay focused, we can get there.

Excited for the New Year and everything it will bring,
Heather

0 comments: