Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Favorite Thing of the Week ~ Seven Pounds

I thought it might be fun to do a weekly blog of my favorite thing of the week. So here goes!

My favorite thing this week is Will Smith’s new movie, Seven Pounds. We saw it on Saturday, and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I just can’t stop thinking about it. It certainly wasn’t a happy movie, but it was one of the best I’ve seen in a long time, and I’m itching to get back to the theater and see it again. I’ve been a Will Smith fan for years ~ maybe not as far back as his Fresh Prince of Bel-Air days, but certainly since Independence Day and Men in Black. But this was him truly at his best ~ he gave an excellent performance.

The previews and reviews of the movie really didn’t give a lot away about the plot of the movie, and I’ll try not to say too much here, but I will say that I feel that the movie truly inspires you to be a better person, and really causes you to consider how the sacrifices you can make can positively impact the lives of others. I’ve wondered for a long time what direction my life should take, and while I like working with numbers all day, I really am a people person and would love to have a career that allows me to actually interact with other people rather than sit behind a desk all day in my lonely, little office. My undergraduate degree is in the social science field, but my fear of being unable to find a decent-paying job in that arena led me to pursue a graduate degree in Business and Accounting. However, after seeing this movie, I feel like my path is clear ~ a career in the social services field is what I want. I have a strong desire to help people, and I hope that in the coming months, I can make some moves that will help me get there.

So Seven Pounds is my favorite thing this week not only because it’s a great movie, but also because watching it opened my eyes to the possibility of doing more with my life than crunching numbers all day.

Excited to see where my new path will take me,
Heather

0 comments: